When you’re buying a home for sale in Long Beach, Lakewood or any of the surrounding communities, your Realtor® will be with you every step of the way – but it’s better to be prepared, so make sure you know about these five common mistakes that many buyers make (and that you’re able to avoid them).
5 Common Mistakes Buyers Make
When you’re house-hunting, these are five big mistakes you can make – and a lot of people make them:
- Not getting preapproval
- Looking without a real estate agent
- Falling for showy features that cover up big problems
- Waiting too long to make an offer
- Not thinking long-term
Not Getting Preapproval
You need mortgage preapproval before you even start looking at houses for several reasons, but two of the most notable are:
- Preapproval shows you exactly how much house you can afford. It helps you define your budget so you’re not looking at homes in the wrong price ranges.
- Preapproval shows sellers you’re serious and able to buy a home. If you find something you love, you need to make an offer quickly – but sellers might be leery of your offer if you can’t show that a lender is willing to let you borrow the money to actually follow through with the transaction.
Looking Without a Real Estate Agent
It doesn’t cost you a thing to hire a real estate agent. In fact, the seller pays the agent’s commission when the sale closes.
And there are literally dozens of benefits to working with a real estate agent, including:
- Easy access to the latest listings hitting the market
- Simple scheduling of home tours through houses that interest you
- Negotiation between you and the seller
Falling for Showy Features That Cover Up Big Problems
It’s not uncommon for sellers to update only the fixtures in the kitchen when the cabinets are sagging and the paint is chipping… so you have to be careful that you don’t become blinded by snazzy features that distract you from a home’s very real shortcomings.
Waiting Too Long to Make an Offer
When you fall in love with a house, chances are pretty good that someone else has, too – and you can’t afford to “sleep on it” while someone else could make an offer. We can’t tell you how many times we’ve seen people lose their dream house because someone swooped in and made an offer while they were “sleeping on it.”
Not Thinking Long-Term
When you buy a home, you need to think at least 5 years out – and you buy a home that you’ll need then, not necessarily now. Buying a home is a big deal, and you don’t want to outgrow yours too soon and be forced to sell because you need something bigger.
Are You Buying a Home in Lakewood or Long Beach?
If you’re buying a home in Lakewood or Long Beach, we can help. Call us at 562-882-1581. Tell us what you want from your next home and we’ll start searching for it right away.
You can also explore our real estate listings here: